The PNGIMR is a statutory organization tasked with conducting medical research into the primary health problems facing the people of Papua New Guinea. It produces research of international quality that attracts global attention and funding from a variety of international agencies.
STRIVE PNG is a newly-funded 3-year project that aims to deliver critical expertise by bringing together a consortium from across Australia and Papua New Guinea (PNG) to build capacity for research implementation and develop policy options in PNG. The Project has two main goals: to generate evidence on the implementation of rapid-response models of genomics-informed surveillance strategies for malaria and other vector-borne diseases (VBDs) and to assess the feasibility, acceptability and cost implications of new policy options for health system strengthening. The project is supported by DFAT Indo-Pacific Centre for Health Security to tackle a shared regional priority of promoting health security in the Indo-Pacific region.
POSITION VACANCY – SENIOR DATA OFFICER
The position is based at the PNG Molecular Hub and the STRIVE PNG sentinel site in Port Moresby, and reports to the Sentinel Site Coordinator and the Head of Vector Borne Disease Unit.
The position will play a pivotal role in maintaining the quality, timeliness, organisation and management of surveillance data output of the newly established sentinel surveillance system for the Trilateral Malaria Project /STRIVE PNG project.
Key responsibilities include:
- Responsible for engaging and managing data from the 3 main project areas: febrile illness sentinel surveillance; molecular laboratory diagnostics, confirmation and typing; vector habitat surveillance and insecticide resistance testing.
- To ensure the organisation, quality and timeliness of data inputs and outputs generated by the project.
- Assist with data analysis and dissemination of surveillance data reports to key stakeholders.
- Follow and maintain SOP for various data entry and management activities for the project.
- Ensure data management practices comply with privacy regulations and ethical requirements.
- Provide data management information and support to the project investigators and stakeholders.
- Troubleshoot data access and entry problems.
The ideal candidate should have the following minimum qualifications:
- Diploma or Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, IT, Health Sciences or related field.
- Experience in management of data bases and electronic data entry systems.
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Access, Word etc.).
- Working knowledge of the PNG Health Strategy and National Health Information System.
- Analytical and reporting skills in project monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent spoken and written English and Tok Pisin.
A full description of the position can be accessed on our website http://www.pngimr.org.pg. Salary & benefits will be based on PNGIMR salary structure and will be negotiated with preferred candidate based upon qualifications and experience.
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates should apply for this position. Please forward all applications and CV to:
Human Resource Manager
PNG Institute of Medical Research
PO Box 60, Goroka EHP 441
Email: [email protected]
Application closes on Wednesday, 5th August 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.